Let my soul be at rest again, for the LORD has been good to me. —Psalm 116:7 (NLT)
I recently read this: “When I’m in a heightened state of sensitivity, I can tell immediately what helps and what hurts my soul. It is very enlightening.
I’ve found there is a huge difference between relief and restoration; much of what provided me relief in the past (like TV) does not help with restoration.
It helps to have perspective on what actually helps my soul grow strong, and what doesn’t.
Helpful: Generous amounts of sunshine. Long walks. Swim-ming. Music. Water. Chocolate. Kindness. Compassion. Yard work. Building something. Beauty. Unhelpful: Television. Traffic. Draining people wanting to talk to me. The news. Social media.
“Soul care” is not a category for most people. They don’t plan their week around it. Maybe it feels unnecessary; maybe it feels indulgent. But we are going to want our souls strong and ready for the days ahead, not weary and weak. So we must practice soul care. I for one am trying to make room for it as part of my “routine.” It really is helping.”—John Eldredge
After much thought, I started looking for Soul Care things that fill my heart:
FASHION SOUL CARE
- The feeling you have when you slip on a dress or coat that fits like a glove
- Taking the tags off a piece you’ve saved so long for to add to your closet
- Walking out of a store knowing you just purchased an item at a STEAL of a price
- Unboxing a beautiful pair of heels
- Transferring your wallet and things to a new handbag
- The smell of hot laundry from the dryer
- Putting on a new pair of earrings
- Putting away your clothes, shoes, and handbags in your closet and organizing it all after moving into your new home
- Nabbing an item on super sale after waiting for years to pull the trigger
- Donating clothes that no longer fit, but you loved to charity so someone else can love them just as much as you did
BEAUTY SOUL CARE
- Opening a new product for the first time
- Finally hitting pan on an eyeshadow you love
- Finishing a jar or tube of skincare
- When someone asks you what fragrance you’re wearing
- Feeling like a queen when you swipe your new lipstick or lip gloss for the first time
- Getting your hair washed at the hair salon
- The clean feeling after washing your hair
- The feeling of relief after putting on lip balm…ahhhh…
- Putting a damp, warm towel on your face
- Taking off your makeup at the end of the day
WELLNESS SOUL CARE
- Taking a walk on a beautiful and sunny day
- Feeling the cool breeze on a hot day
- The first sip of ice-cold water after a hard workout
- Speaking of, the exhilarating feeling after completing a hard workout, knowing you did it
- Slipping into your bed with freshly washed sheets after taking a hot shower
- Sinking into a warm/hot bath after a long day/week
- Realizing you’re a better person today compared to a year ago or even yesterday
- Crossing the finish line of any race
- Watching your favorite movie again, for the 100th time
- Doing one thing for yourself, no matter how small it is — like a Pilates session, grabbing a croissant and a coffee, lighting a candle, etc.
LIFESTYLE SOUL CARE
- The first glorious sip of coffee
- Finishing the last line of a great book and shutting it with satisfaction
- Ending the night with a full heart after a good conversation with loved ones, friends, and/or new friends during a dinner
- Getting a text message from your parents reminding you to let them know when you get home, a joke/gif/meme they thought was funny, or photos from their trip
- Curling up on your couch to watch a movie or show
- The first bite of a good steak dinner
- The final log off of work for a week or two because of the holidays or you’re about to go on vacation
- Seeing the gorgeous sky/mountains from your window seat
- Adding a new item to your home to make it more cozy
- Having an “Ah-ha!” moment after reading a devotional/ the Bible
What are some of your favorite soul-care things?
I hope you will do some more soul care in the coming year to keep your heart full!