Have you ever felt like your life is all over the place like you don’t “have it together” and life just feels chaotic? That’s been me lately. With 2018 coming to a close in a few months, I don’t feel like I’ve accomplished much this year. Looking back, I feel like life has been crazy and as someone who has high standards, I haven’t done as much as I expected.
Personally, I know this year has been a year of learning to rest and relax, but if you have the same personality/work ethic as I do, intentionally resting is very difficult.
And when you have huge goals for the coming year to prepare for, it’s harder when you feel like your life is in disarray.
If you’re in the same boat as I am, here are 25 small actionable steps you can take to help you feel like you have your life together while getting things crossed off of your to-do list at the same time:
- Make that one health appointment you’ve been dreading. For me, I dread going to the dentist. Recently, I took a day off of work, made the appointment and went. And you know what? It felt better than I expected.
- Set up a fun appointment after your dreaded appointment as a reward. As a reward to myself, I set a fun appointment for after my dentist appointment and got my nails done! Win-win!
- Go to bed at least 15 minutes to an hour earlier than your usual bedtime. It doesn’t have to be drastic. Just try it for a week. Use the Sleep Cycle app to track your sleep to see how you fair. You can also use the app to wake up in light sleep mode. Just make sure to put your phone far away from you at night because phones do emit radiation.
- Order some new workout clothes or shoes to motivate you to stay in the gym!
- Take technology breaks often. Create an evening cutoff time where you put your phone and laptop away and stick to it.
Beauty / Style
- Go through and check your makeup and toss expired or old products. Gives you a great reason to restock with the Sephora Holiday Bonus Beauty Insider sale going on!
- Create keep, toss, donate and sell piles and go through your closet. Keep items you absolutely love and toss, donate or sell the rest. Set up a Poshmark account, take pictures and earn some money to add some new pieces to your wardrobe!
- Organize your makeup once and for all! I have this acrylic makeup organizer and it’s a game-changer. If you can see it, you will use it.
- Set some time on a weekend to play with new skincare products or makeup looks!
- Save up for a shopping spree or that one item you’ve been wanting (::cough:: LV Pochette Metis ::cough::) and go for it!
- Set up a lunch/dinner/drinks date with friends you haven’t seen in awhile.
- If you live far away, intentionally schedule time on your calendar to visit with your parents on a consistent basis.
- Throw a dinner party or a game night and invite your friends over to catch up. And open the invitation for your friends’ friends to attend too! Nothing like when your circle of friends grow bigger and bigger!
- Create a self-care package for someone you love and either mail it to them or drop it off when you visit.
- Pick five people who you think needs some encouragement, love and support to send some snail mail to. A simple card with a thoughtful message can really strengthen a relationship.
Finances / Business
- Unsubscribe from emails you aren’t reading and keep deleting. And while you’re at it, grab yourself some coffee, put on some jams and tackle your inbox and create folders to organize your emails.
- Set a block of time to check your credit score, savings and retirement accounts. Make sure your information is updated and your accounts are running smoothly.
- File and shred any papers you’ve stored away that you’ve been meaning to organize.
- Rearrange your office furniture and hang up any framed pictures you’ve been meaning to put up. Or degrees you’ve earned from five years ago, ha!
- Sit down and create financial plans not just for retirement, but for fun things like a vacation, holiday shopping, a new car or fun toys like a drone, video game, etc.
- When it comes to feeling like you have your life together, start small by cleaning out your handbag.
- Next, clean out your car. Easiest way to do this? While you’re at the gas station, throw away trash while you’re pumping. When you’re done, head over to the air pump and check your tires. And if you need to, air them up. With time permitting, go get it washed and/or get your oil changed.
- One of the easiest things to do to feel like you have your life together is to write down your to-do list. From there, choose 3-5 most important things (MIT list) you need to do for the day and get them done! Once you understand that your to-do list will never end, life will get a lot less stressful.
- Go through your Pinterest boards and clean them up! You never know when inspiration will strike!
- Look at your calendar and add some fun events and experiences for you to do. That way, you can have fun things to look forward to after working so hard.
Like my recent health milestone I’ve achieved, to feel like you have a successful life is all about starting with baby steps. It’s all about doing a little bit each day and creating those habits. Next thing you know, you’ll have a set routine and things will be easier!
What do you plan to do to feel like you have your life together?
I hope I’ve inspired you to “get it together” in some way! I mean, after all is said and done, feel feel to binge watch some Netflix as a reward!